As the highest mountain in Malaysia, the Mount of Kinabalu, or known as Gunung Kinabalu by the locals, is one of the favourite climbing spots amongst avid climbers and hikers. It is situated in the state of Sabah, Borneo and protected under the Kinabalu Park. Every year, thousands of climbers would book their ticket and set to conquer the peak of Mount Kinabalu. If climbing this mountain is on your bucket list, here are some of the climbing tips and guides that you should know before embarking on your climbing adventure.
When is the Best Time to Climb Mount Kinabalu?
The best time to climb Kinabalu Mountain is sometime around March and August. It is a dry season, and you can avoid the monsoon rain if you are to go there during this period. However, if you do not have any free time during these months, you can still go during other months. Just be prepared to face bad weather. If you are to look for silver lining, there is also a chance for you to witness some ice on the top during the wet season!
When to Start Making Your Reservation?
It is highly recommendable to make your reservation as early as possible. Specifically, six months before your departure. It is to ensure that you will not miss any empty rooms. There are many climbers and adventure lovers who wish to climb and reach the top, so the accommodations get fully booked quite easily. Plus, there is a quota of climbers every day. There are total of 146 climb permits & dormitory beds in all huts of Laban Rata. Therefore, make your plan accordingly and at the earliest time possible to avoid disappointment.
The Cost of Climbing Mount Kinabalu
The cost of climbing Mount Kinabalu depends on your citizenship. The people of Sabah will receive a special rate that can range between RM250 to RM300 per person. For Malaysians, the cost might range between RM650 and up to RM1,000. International visitors will be charged somewhere between RM1,000 to RM1,500 per person. The rate includes transportation and accommodation – at Kinabalu Park, Laban Rata, and Gunting Lagadan. Plus, there is also a cost for the mountain guide (known as Malim Gunung), insurance, permit and other miscellaneous costs.
The Essential Equipment You Must Have to Climb Mount Kinabalu
With the height of 13,435 feet above the sea level, it can be quite challenging to climb the Mount Kinabalu without a proper set of hiking equipment. In this article, we are listing down some of the essential equipment that you want to include in your bag.
- Comfortable hiking boots
- Waterproof jacket
- A head torch
- Water bottles
- A few pair of thick socks
- High energy snacks
- Basic toiletries
- Medicine kit
If you happen to miss some of the above items, there is no need to fret as you can always buy them at one of the many hiking and outdoor stores in Kota Kinabalu.
Tips on Climbing Mount Kinabalu
Besides than knowing the monetary cost, when to make your planning and reservation, as well as what items to bring for your climbing adventure, there are also several other tips that you might want to keep in mind during your climb.
- You can always check out more information at Mount Kinabalu official website, www.mountkinabalu.com.
- The climbing usually takes two days to complete.
- You need to apply for a valid climb permit in order to climb the mountain.
- The summit is the most challenging part of the climbing. As you get nearer to the top, you will have to do some rock climbing with the help of a rope. You will need to grapple across the rocks and fumble with your foot and just be careful about the steep drop.
- You might experience some altitude sickness. Dizziness and nausea are some of the commons effects as you climb the altitude. Make use of your medicine kit in this tricky time!
- The descending process has its own set of challenges. You might experience some knee pain. Stock up Ibuprofen in your kit and use it to ease up the pain if it is too unbearable.
- Make your reservation for the dorm or hotels in Kota Kinabalu via LagiSatu.com to get great discounts up to 80%! You will be able to save more, and experience more with these great savings!