Cairo sets itself on both ends of the spectrum. It’s as beautiful and rich in history as it is dilapidated and unkempt, yet there’s no doubt that this amazing city is rich in culture, life and mystical wonder. Here are 5 things to keep you busy in Cairo, as well as give you a taste into what Egypt has to offer.
1. Pyramids of Giza & the Sphinx
- There’s no way around visiting the most ancient of the Seven Wonders of the World. The pyramids have really stood the test of time, with some of them being over 5000 years old.
- The Sphinx is a half-man, half-lion structure that’s a majestic sight to behold. It stands at the entrance to an ancient mortuary temple and has had many myths told about its construction.
2. Egyptian Museum
- See some of the most iconic artefacts of the Egyptian empire!
- Bask in the glory of ancient royalty, the unexpected and the scientific wonder of what the history of Egypt has to offer.
- If you’re pressed for time, don’t forget to visit the Tutankhamun Galleries. Discovered in 1922, this collection contains the largest and richest assembly of grave goods ever found.
3. Khan El-Khalili Market
- You can’t make a trip to Cairo without visiting at least one souk (Arabian market)!
- Lose yourself in pretty ancient arches, unique traditional souvenirs and bask in the historical glory of the market, enjoying the hustle and bustle while you shop.
4. Muhammad Ali Mosque
- Also known as the Citadel of Saladin, this revered mosque was built in the 19th century, and is the biggest and most visible mosque in Cairo.
- Grand and luxuriously decorated with gold, hanging lamps and stained glass windows, this Ottoman-style building spans 41 x 41 meters and has a 50 x 50-meter courtyard.
5. Al-Azhar Park
- If you have a couple of hours to kill in Cairo but don’t really want to spend any money, make your way to this beautiful recreational park.
- The park has a contemporary design that’s inspired by historic Islamic garden, featuring a water channel that leads into a small lake, alleyways and greenery.
- The area also has rest areas and restaurants that you can check out, making it a great activity for the whole family.
Planning a trip soon? If you are a huge fan of history or just love a unique experience, Cairo should be in your travel bucket list! Step into the story of the past with Tripfez today, check out our website for more info.
Leave a Reply